In 1800, during the French period, under the Napoleon rule, a maritime school was established in Antwerp.
Until 1814 the school was housed in the building of the Trade Exchange.
Following milestones characterise the further history of the school:
|1834||Re-foundation of the Antwerp Maritime Academy under Belgian rule.|
|1919||Resuming courses after the suspension from 1914 till 1918.|
|1907||The academy starts the tradition to name the class of first year students in Nautical Sciences after a distinguished maritime personality. As from 1977 this is also done for the Marine Engineering department.|
Inauguration of the new school building.
|1944||The German army occupies the school building; courses are taught at the building where now the seamen’s house “Stella Maris” is located (the school building could be used again in 1948).|
|1961||The training vessel “Mercator” is taken out of service.|
|1985||The Nautical Sciences training is taken to an academic level.|
|1990||The Flemish Community replaces the federal Transport Ministry as competent authority.|
|2002||The IMO (STCW) international rules and quality standards are implemented.|
|2003||The Antwerp Maritime Academy is one of the first colleges to be awarded the ISO 9001:2000 quality certificate.|
|2004||Introduction of the bachelor-master structure.|
|2008||The tradition of organising training at sea on large sailing ships has been resumed.|